David Irving Refutes Lies contained in the Board of Deputies' Secret Intelligence Report
To: Mishcon de Reya, Solicitors · attn.: Anthony Julius · 21 Southampton Row London WC1B 5HS
Your reference: 5/AJ/JLL/m Without Prejudice
Dear Mr Julius,
The Board of Deputies of British Jews
FIRST I must apologise for not having responded substantively to your letter -- I was stricken down with pneumonia for several weeks, and was then swept up with the affairs surrounding the successful U.K. publication of my latest book, and the U.S. non-publication of the same, which I shall adduce in due course as further evidence of the pecuniary damage that I have suffered because of the campaign mounted in Canada and elsewhere by your clients.
The Answers to the Questionnaire which you enclosed are as follows:--
6.2 Irving claims that his father was also a polar explorer
1. Do you claim this?
Answer: ·· Check Torpedo Running
2. Was your father a polar explorer?
Comment: to my mind the defamatory sting is in the word claims, since in the context of the Report complained of it implies that I am boasting about something knowing it to be untrue.
8. Parents "divorced"
1. Did your parents divorce? If not, did they separate?
Answer: They never divorced; they were separated, he living in North Wales, she with us in Essex.
9. No questions were asked.
10. "Untrue . . . 800 Washington Street, Key West, Florida."
1. What is the nature of your relationship with this address?
Answer: this is a motel, at which I occasionally stayed from January 1987 when visiting Key West.
2.2.5 "Untrue . . .civil war."
1. Please tell us his full name. We will then seek independent verification.
Answer: My first wife's father was Enrique Stuyck Candela, who died aged 54 in February 1962, a few days after the death of his wife. He was a businessman with a Chemistry degree. He was never in the Spanish armed forces on either side. Most of his family (brothers) were on the Republican side in the Spanish civil war and had to flee to South American after Generalisimo Francisco Franco came to power. Her mother's brother Enrique Roma Jover was shot by the communists in error (his father, the real target of the communist assassins, was already dead).
Comment: the defamatory sting is in the implication that I deliberately married into a top Spanish fascist or militarist family.
© Focal Point David Irving 1998
3.1/3.2.1. "let me state quite categorically that neither then nor since have I 'received funding or other material assistance from Nazis' even taking the broadest definition of those words."
1. Please explain which of the following groups and individuals you include in your 'broadest definition' of 'Nazis' to enable us to understand what you mean by this.
Answer: For the purposes of this answer I do not include the groups numbered by you 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 in this definition of the word "Nazis"; this does not exclude the possibility that one or other member of those groups may have, with or without my knowledge, purchased individual books or similar material either directly or indirectly from me in the normal course of my business as an historian, author, and publisher. As for the other numbers while I am unable to adjudge whether they count as "Nazis" or not, the following data on my financial relations (or non-relations) with them should adequately serve the purposes of your Questionnaire:
6. British National Party 1980 to present. I am not familiar with their programme or policies, so cannot judge if they are "Nazi" or not. I find that we (Focal Point publishing) have in the past supplied books to them, and on precisely the same terms as to other booksellers, i.e. not on more favourable terms. There is no other point of contact whatever between the BNP as such and myself or my publishing operation.
7. Freedom Books/Videos. I have not heard of them, and they are not listed on my bookseller database. There is no other point of contact whatever between Freedom Books/Videos and myself or my publishing operation.
8. John Tyndall. I hold this gentleman at arm's length. When Churchill's War vol. i was presented at a press conference aboard HMS Belfast in November 1987, Mr Tyndall was observed to be present: he had not been invited, and I conducted an internal inquiry as to how he came to be there, for reasons which you may surmise. (It turned out one of guests had invited him, without authorisation).
9. Anthony Hancock. He has been one of the printers used by us on a normal commercial basis over the last years. His right-wing views are well known. This fact no more dissuades me from using his firm than the fact that B & H Newman Printers were Jewish enjoined me from using their firm for many years (I stopped using the latter in 1994 after they volunteered private materials on me and my book publications without consulting me and without my authorisation to a third party, namely a lawyer for a German plaintiff in a lawsuit).
10. Gerhard Frey. Hired me for a series of history lecture tours in Germany from about 1982 to about 1990. His organisation awarded to me two prizes during this period, which were each linked with a cash award; one was called the Freedom Prize (I think), and other the Rudel prize, named after a German WW2 fighter ace. As his organisation is legal, properly constituted under the Federal German law, and has never been banned, I do not consider the word "Nazi" would be appropriate for it.
11. François Genoud. His views have also become widely known since his recent death. When we met we never talked about his views, since our negotiations were purely those of an author and historian dealing with a man sitting on and controlling access to important caches of wartime documents. Since there was never any commercial or pecuniary relationship between us, on even the slightest scale, and no money between us ever changed hands, whether or not he was a "Nazi" is irrelevant.
12. Ewald Althans. I first met this odd young man in October 1989; at that time he had views which to me were excitable rather than eccentric or extreme. He was not at that time a "Nazi" by any standard. He subsequently became extreme, and by 1991 it was plain to me that he had become a hired agent provocateur of the Federal German government. He subsequently, during his trial in Berlin, admitted as much. He thus became not so much a "Nazi" as a fake "Nazi". I made plain to him in 1991 that I wished nothing further to do with him, and was very angry when -- it now turns out, on German government pay -- he turned up like a Bad Penny everywhere I was, whether in Los Angeles or Ontario.
13. Jean Marie le Pen. There is no point of contact whatever between this gentleman (or his organisation) and myself or my publishing operation. We have never met, corresponded, or spoken.
14. Ernst Zündel. I first met this gentleman in Ontario in November 1987, and subsequently was accepted by the District Court in Toronto as an expert witness to give evidence as an historian at his trial on the charge of spreading false information. Along with the other witnesses called by the prosecution and defence, I was subsequently paid a witness-fee and expenses for the five days I was in Toronto. After many appeals and counter-appeals, he ultimately was cleared of the offence. I do not consider him to be a "Nazi," though he has been driven into adopting extreme positions by the Jewish persecution and the organised violence to which he has been subjected.
15. Kirk Lyons. See my attached affidavit, which provides the relevant data [not included on this site]. I do not consider him to be a "Nazi" for the purposes of this Questionnaire.
16. Nick Griffin. There is no point of contact whatever between this gentleman (or his organisation) and myself or my publishing operation. To the best of my belief we have never met or spoken.
17. Eric D Butler. I do not consider him to be a "Nazi" for the purposes of this Questionnaire. Although it is possible that he, along with hundreds of other Australians, has contributed to the David Irving Fighting Fund (Australia) I have no proof of this as it is managed Down Under.
18. Willis Carto. I do not consider him to be a "Nazi" for the purposes of this Questionnaire. Apart from receiving orthodox and modest fees for lecturing on two or three occasions to the Institute for Historical Review (IHR) at the time when he was running it, I have received no funds from him. In 1993 he offered me money to write an article on his legal dispute with the IHR; having scrutinised the papers on the affair which he sent me, I declined the offer.
19. Albert Speer. I consider him to be a "Nazi" for the purposes of this Questionnaire.
20. National Front (1979). I am not familiar with their programme or policies, so cannot judge if they are "Nazi" or not. There was and is no point of contact whatever between the NF as such and myself or my publishing operation.
21. Martin Webster. There was and is no point of contact whatever between this man as such and myself or my publishing operation. He on one occasion carried out typesetting work for us, under a pseudonym. When I learned of his real identity -- which had not been known to me -- I instructed my staff to make no further use of his firm.
22. Martin Wingfield. There was and is no point of contact whatever between this man as such and myself or my publishing operation.
3.2.3. ". . . opulent lifestyle"
1. Do you life in Mayfair?
answer: I have lived since 1964 in north Mayfair.
2. Do you or did you ever drive a Rolls-Royce?
answer: In about 1977 I purchased for £9,000 a second hand Rolls Royce; I sold it twelve years later for £5,000. I bought it because of its low maintenance costs compared with the previous British Leyland cars I had driven.
3. Do you or did you ever travel extensively abroad?
4. Are your suits tailored?
answer: I have two suits only, both tailored in February 1986.
5. Please provide accounts, as offered, for the periods 1960--69, 1970--79, 19880--89, and 1990--present.
answer: Nice try. As it is my contention that your clients and their agents have gone to great lengths to try to deprive me and my family of its world-wide sources of livelihood I shall not at this at this stage provide such accounts, nor were they "offered" as you maintain. For the purposes of this Questionnaire I am prepared to instruct my accountant, who has been my accountant at all material times, to answer confidentially a Question framed by yourselves, along the lines of: "It has been suggested that your client David Irving enjoys an opulent lifestyle, and has done for many years. It does not seem that he could maintain such a standard of living without source of income other than his books. From your knowledge of his finances can you confirm whether
(a) Mr Irving's lifestyle over the years that you have known him could properly be described as opulent?
1. Have you ever published the Leuchter Report? Have you commented on it? Have you analysed its contents? What is your current view of it?
answer: The Leuchter report was not mentioned in my complaint of November 14. The answers are however as follows: Yes, trading as Focal Point Publications, in June 1989 I published the U.K. edition of what is commonly called the Leuchter Report, embellishing it with an Introduction in which I drew attention to its gravamen and to its shortcomings. My current view is that although flawed in peripheral details, it provided a useful stimulus to the Debate on the gas chambers issue; but that it has been supplanted and complemented by other research, notably by Germar Rudolf, at the time employed as an expert chemist by th [TO BE CONTINUED]
© Focal Point David Irving 1998