Mr. J. IRVING
HEADMASTER OF SS. JOHN'S SCHOOL.
The death occurred on Tuesday at Radcliffe
Infirmary, Oxford, of Mr. J. Irving, headmaster of
SS. Mary and John's School from 1893-1932. His home
was at 36, Southfield-road.
Mr. Irving was headmaster when the School first
opened over 40 years ago, and during his long
tenure of office he saw many changes. His cheery
personality and understanding of the young mind did
much to promote the happy spirit of cooperation
between staff and pupils, and old boys, now
resident in many parts of the country, have
pleasant memories of their days under his
headmastership. Mr. Irving was an enthusiastic
member of the National Union of Teachers. He was
closely identified wit h the Church and other
activities or tine parish
A Cumberland man, Mr. Irving came of a
well-known Maryport family, and came to Oxford to
take up his headmastership straight from Bede
College, Durham. The School was opened in St.
Alban's Church, Charles-street, with only 23
pupils, but in January, 1896, the present buildings
were opened, which now accommodate about 1,000
children. When Mr. Irving retired in August, 1932,
he was presented with a gold watch from the
managers, teachers and children. His hobbies were
walking and a study of languages
He leaves a widow and two sons. Both sons
started their senior school life at their father's
school. One son is an Oxford lecturer and the
other, Comdr. J. J. Irving, who was formerly in the
Navy, will be remembered for the part he played in
the Antarctic Expedition.
The funeral took place at the Church of SS. Mary
and John on Thursday afternoon, the church being
practically filled with parishioners and past and
present scholars of the school. The service was
taken by the Vicar (the Rev.
W. H. Walsham How), who was assisted by the
Revs. A. E. Maund and H. N. Nash.
The family mourners were: Comdr. John
Irving and Mrs. Beryl Irving (son and
daughter-in-law) and Dr.
H. Irving (son).
Among the large number present were : Dr. A. L
Ormerod ; Mr. H. C. Cole (headmaster of SS. Mary
and John School); Mr. M. L. Grierson, Mr. E. J.
Phipps and Mr. C. E. Hart (staff) ; Miss S. Rogers
(Infants' School) ; Miss Seward (Girls' School ) ;
Mrs. Living- stone and Mr. C. H. Wigg (National
Union of Teachers) ; Mr. E. Skuce (City Librarian);
Mr. E. F. Worsley (Superintendent of the Poplars) ;
Mr. H. A. Tozer (headmaster, Cowley St. John); Mr.
A. Flemming (Municipal Secondary School); Miss L.
Gee (City Education Committee) ; Miss A. H. E.
Vincent, Mrs. Clinkard, Mr. W. White and Mr. H. W.
Barrett (churchwardens); and Messrs. J. T. Rhodes,
F. C. Coles, W. Burchell, P. Douglas, E. Buckett,
G. Butler, F. Rand, T. Robinson, F. Noah, T. M.
Kenney, G. Allibone, J. J. Perkins, G. Beesley, J.
Shepherd,. B. Parker, E. W. Budd, J. T. Grierson,
J. Lyric, R. O. Adams, A. C. Williamson, A.
Plaisted, R. Coulson, E. Pound, F. Williams, A.
Rabbet, R. G. Bates, H. Bulpitt, J. Dingle, J.
Hunt, B. W. Faulkner, J. W. Graubner and W. T.
Hugo. The service was choral, Mr. F. V. Parker
being at the organ.
The following floral tributes were serif in
addition to those from the family : The Old Boys of
SS. Mary and John's School ; Staff of SS. Mary and
John's School ; the boys of SS. Mary and John's
School ; the staff of SS. Mary and John's Girls'
School ; the girls of SS. Mary and John's School ;
the staff of the Infant School, SS. Mary and
The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr.
L. W. Organ. Headington.